You could certainly use a 1-1/8 with a shim.  I wouldn't worry about a new
stem being strong enough , or using a shim on the steering tube. I know it
goes being attached to certain ideas and all.... lol... but this is not
really a big deal , once you decide what you want the most. I was all set
against anything threadless , let alone threadless quill adapters .  Then I
said ... that's just stupid ... and now I use them . Angst over nothing.

I would leave the current stem alone. Leave the bars alone. Don't force
anything, don't modify anything. The parts you need to fit together exist,
and they will come to you and all this will seem like dream. Done Already
:)