I'm reckoning that the University is the degree-granting institution, the 
department is just where the researcher was based. If we contributed records to 
OCLC we would strip out the department name and just leave the University.

However, I should probably stop procrastinating and just amend the template 
without worrying about the $e!

Rose-Ann Movsovic
Collections Manager
University of Reading Library
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access 
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] on behalf of John Hostage 
Sent: 02 December 2013 22:04
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] "Faculty" in

RDA appendix I.2.2 has the relationship designator "degree granting 

John Hostage
Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger //
Harvard Library--Information and Technical Services //
Langdell Hall 194 //
Cambridge, MA 02138
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)
+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
> [mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Rose-Ann Movsovic
> Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 05:18
> Subject: Re: [RDA-L] "Faculty" in
> I don't know the answer to this question but locally we add an entry for the
> name of the department the author belonged to because our users want to
> be able to retrieve lists of theses by department. I haven't come up with a
> relationship designator for that which is holding up our converting the thesis
> template to RDA.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
> [mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun
> Wiesenmüller
> Sent: 02 December 2013 09:57
> Subject: [RDA-L] "Faculty" in
> I'm not quite certain about the meaning of "faculty" in the element
> "Dissertation or Thesis Information".
> reads: "Record the name of the granting institution or faculty."
> I assume that the example "University College, London" is supposed to
> illustrate a case where the degree is granted by a faculty rather than the
> university (which would be the University of London). Is this correct?
> The reason for my question is that I'm wondering about German doctoral
> theses. There, usually both the name of the university and the name of the
> faculty within this university are given, e.g.: "Dissertation zur Erlangung 
> des
> Doktorgrades der Fakultaet fuer Agrarwissenschaften der Georg-August-
> Universitaet Goettingen" (i.e. "Thesis for obtaining the doctoral degree of
> the Faculty for Agricultural Sciences of the Georg August University
> Goettingen").
> Up to now, in such a case we've only recorded the name of the university,
> but not the name of the faculty. I also can't remember ever having seen an
> AACR2 record including a faculty of a German university.
> This impression fits in with the example "Freie Universitaet Berlin" in
> (without information about the respective faculty, which probably
> was given on the source of information as well).
> My feeling is that in Germany, a faculty is basically an administrative 
> division.
> It's not at all comparable to the independent character of the University
> College London (Wikipedia says: "For most practical purposes, ranging from
> admissions to funding, the constituent colleges operate as individual
> universities, and some have recently obtained the power to award their own
> degrees whilst remaining in the federation."). So I would prefer to give the
> name of the university only, without the faculty.
> How would you handle the case of the German universities and when would
> you use the "faculty"?
> Heidrun
> --
> ---------------------
> Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.
> Stuttgart Media University
> Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany www.hdm-stuttgart.de/bi

Reply via email to