Another of those ambiguous English words.  It can mean the teaching
staff of an educational institution.  But in this context, it means a
subunit of a university which grants degrees.  In other words, the
body which granted the degree should be in 502. $b.

The institution in 502 $b may be traced with $edegree granting
institution,  whether the university or the school (aka faculty)
within the university.  Professional schools such as law, medicine,
and theology often grant degrees rather than the larger university.

Have you got a good example for such a school/faculty which actually grants its own degrees (instead of the larger university)? As I said in my last mail, in Germany I believe the subunits do not grant degrees in their own right. But it may be different in the Anglo-American world.


Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.
Stuttgart Media University
Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany

Reply via email to