> The consensus seems to be forming around a basic URI of
>   /project/version/artifact
> such as
>  http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/1.5/ant.jar

I'm not sure, yet, that there is a consensus forming.  For example, Peter
Kazmier replied to Craig McClanahan's message about commons-foo-x.y.jar, and

> To grab the latest released version:
>     commons-foo-RELEASE.jar
> To grab the latest nightly build:
>     commons-foo-SNAPSHOT.jar
> And of course, to grab a specific version:
>     commons-foo-x.y.jar

Unless you view "-" and "/" purely as separators without the directory
hierarchy connotations.

And my descriptor-based proposal doesn't specify or mandate the artifact's
URI, only the URI for the project descriptor.  The latter would provide
provide URIs for its constituent artifact(s), amongst other things.

        --- Noel