Why not collapse version into the filename, and add a level for jars

http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-1.5.jar

Not all projects distribute jars.  What about a project that produces a war
file, or an ear file?

it would make it easier to store periodic builds such as

http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-20030212-0730.jar
http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-20030212-0930.jar
http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-20030212-1030.jar

Also, the "." in the directory might not be a great idea, why not use
dashes:

How about http://repo.apache.org/org-apache-ant/jars/ant-1.5.jar

--------
Tim O'Brien