O'brien, Tim wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Chalko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 8:00 PM
The consensus seems to be forming around a basic URI of

/project/version/artifact

such as
http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/1.5/ant.jar

Why not collapse version into the filename, and add a level for jars

I like
foo/1.1/foo.jar
foo/1.1/license.txt
foo/1.1/foo-optional.jar
foo/1.2/foo.jar
foo/1.2/license.txt

instead of

foo/jars/foo-1.1.jar
foo/jars/foo-optional-1.1.jar
foo/jars/foo-1.2.jar
foo/license/license-1.1.txt
foo/license/license-1.2.txt

It is realy the choice of "kind of artifact together" vs "All artifacts for a version together"

both work

This is just the URI
where a client stores things on the local file system is a different matter.

http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-1.5.jar

Not all projects distribute jars.  What about a project that produces a war
file, or an ear file?

it would make it easier to store periodic builds such as

http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-20030212-0730.jar
http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-20030212-0930.jar
http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-20030212-1030.jar

I know the java guys like the paclkage name sytnax
But I think it is may be better to use the cvs module name as the "project"

Doesn't really matter as long as we agree.

Also, the "." in the directory might not be a great idea, why not use
dashes:

How about http://repo.apache.org/org-apache-ant/jars/ant-1.5.jar

--------
Tim O'Brien

--
Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                         Centipede