Title: RE: Proposals

I imagine:

.../httpd/dists/httpd-2.0.45-src.zip
.../httpd/dists/httpd-2.0.45-src.tar.gz
.../httpd/dists/httpd-2.0.45-bin-solaris.tar.gz
.../httpd/dists/httpd-2.0.45-bin-linux.tar.gz

So I guess type != ext, which makes sense.

I would prefer, for example:

.../so/mod_jk-1.2.5-linux.so

Over

.../so/linux/mod_jk-1.2.5.so

I prefer this for the same reason that I prefer to have the version number in the filename. I think this also follows a well known convention that feels natural, even if the filename does get long in some cases.

Continuing to think of it from a tool perspective, the 3 elements of type you have here are:
1) artifact type (dist)
2) release type (src/bin/bin-win32/etc)
3) artifact format (extension: tar.gz, tar.bz2 - only makes sense for some artifact types)

Cheers,
Brett