--On Thursday, November 06, 2003 21:51:25 -0500 "Noel J. Bergman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I imagine:

From a strict user-centric point, I really dislike this type of flat

Remember that httpd is a C program, so it's currently like:

The binbuild.sh in the httpd tries to name it sensibly based on the OS and processor values it is built on.

IMHO, the combinations are too numerous to place all binaries in one directory. Solaris SPARC, Solaris x86. Linux IA-32, IA-64, x64, Alpha, SPARC, MIPS, etc. FreeBSD, NetBSD *everything*. In order to ease the users' burdens of navigating the system, I think separating out into platform is really beneficial.

So I guess type != ext, which makes sense.
I would prefer, for example:

For native code, I'd prefer the later with the additional qualifier of the machine/instruction set compiled against. Doing just 'linux' when you really mean 'Linux/IA-32' is going to annoy people because it's not descriptive enough. -- justin