Maybe I formed my ideas earlier in Mavens history when SNAPSHOT was simply a symlink that could be moved to point at any release. Some places in the repository actually have SNAPSHOT symlinks that point to a fully versioned releases... These are not interim builds...

lrwxrwxr-x 1 jvanzyl apcvs 26 Jan 17 2004 excalibur-logger-SNAPSHOT.jar -> excalibur-logger-1.0.1.jar
lrwxrwxr-x 1 rdonkin apcvs 16 Jul 19 15:18 jaxme-rt-SNAPSHOT.jar -> jaxme-rt-0.3.jar
lrwxrwxr-x 1 rdonkin apcvs 16 Jul 19 15:17 jaxme-xs-SNAPSHOT.jar -> jaxme-xs-0.3.jar

Clearly there is vague definition here if this symlink can point at a release like this.

Some are concerned that removing these could cause some folks distros to break. Though, no one in thier right mind should release against a SNAPSHOT.

Dion Gillard wrote:

SNAPSHOT versions are never a 'fully sanctioned release' and are
simply a point in time build. It is VERY different from CURRENT in the
apache sense which means latest released.

AFAIK, there's no confusion over this.

-- Mark Diggory Open Source Software Developer Apache Jakarta Project http://jakarta.apache.org