Thomas G. Willis wrote:
> OK, not sure if this is a blasphemous question or not. I've been slowly
> working through "Web Component Development with Zope 3" , and instead of
> trying out the things in zopeproject, I figured that trying out the
> things in bfg as well may yield a greater understanding of what the heck
> is going on. I realize that this may be incredibly dumb, so I'm not
> surprised that I'm hitting roadblocks once in a while.

Bear in mind that whilst repoze.bfg uses a number of Zope packages, it
is not built on top of Zope 3 (in the same way that, say, Grok is). BFG
contains forks/re-implementations of some Zope things, omits a large
number of package traditionally part of a Zope 3 bundle (this is a good
thing!), and solves certain things differently (e.g. the way views are
done in bfg is different from the way they are done in Zope).

For this reason, Philipp's book will probably not apply in many cases if
you're using BFG, and I don't think there's any documentation or good
guides to *which* parts will apply and which parts won't (i.e. a "bfg
delta zope" document).

That said, I can't see it being impossible to use zope.schema + a forms
library in repoze.bfg. Not that I've tried. ;)

> After reading up on zope.schema and zope.formlib, it seems that schema
> based forms, fit my brain, and I would like to use them in bfg if
> possible rather than tw.forms etc...

This won't help with your specific question, but most people seem to be
ditching zope.formlib in favour of z3c.form, which is more feature
complete, better documented and better maintained. The basic principles
are still the same: you build a schema and then create a form from that
schema. has the documentation.

To use it, you need to depend on it in your own package's so
that it gets installed, and include its configuration via <include
package="z3c.form" /> in your configure.zcml. To use the default widgets
(which you probably want) you also need to mark the request with the
IFormLayer marker interface. I'm not sure what facility repoze.bfg has
for that, though.

want to work with Plone. See