On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Martin Aspeli
> wrote:

> Thomas G. Willis wrote:
> > OK, not sure if this is a blasphemous question or not. I've been slowly
> > working through "Web Component Development with Zope 3" , and instead of
> > trying out the things in zopeproject, I figured that trying out the
> > things in bfg as well may yield a greater understanding of what the heck
> > is going on. I realize that this may be incredibly dumb, so I'm not
> > surprised that I'm hitting roadblocks once in a while.
> Bear in mind that whilst repoze.bfg uses a number of Zope packages, it
> is not built on top of Zope 3 (in the same way that, say, Grok is). BFG
> contains forks/re-implementations of some Zope things, omits a large
> number of package traditionally part of a Zope 3 bundle (this is a good
> thing!), and solves certain things differently (e.g. the way views are
> done in bfg is different from the way they are done in Zope).
> For this reason, Philipp's book will probably not apply in many cases if
> you're using BFG, and I don't think there's any documentation or good
> guides to *which* parts will apply and which parts won't (i.e. a "bfg
> delta zope" document).
> That said, I can't see it being impossible to use zope.schema + a forms
> library in repoze.bfg. Not that I've tried. ;)
> > After reading up on zope.schema and zope.formlib, it seems that schema
> > based forms, fit my brain, and I would like to use them in bfg if
> > possible rather than tw.forms etc...
> This won't help with your specific question, but most people seem to be
> ditching zope.formlib in favour of z3c.form, which is more feature
> complete, better documented and better maintained. The basic principles
> are still the same: you build a schema and then create a form from that
> schema.
> http://docs.zope.org/z3c.form has the documentation.
> To use it, you need to depend on it in your own package's setup.py so
> that it gets installed, and include its configuration via <include
> package="z3c.form" /> in your configure.zcml. To use the default widgets
> (which you probably want) you also need to mark the request with the
> IFormLayer marker interface. I'm not sure what facility repoze.bfg has
> for that, though.
> Martin
> --
> Author of `Professional Plone Development`, a book for developers who
> want to work with Plone. See http://martinaspeli.net/plone-book

Hey Martin,
I was kind of expecting that the book would have some gaps as far as bfg
goes. I was hoping that going through the exercise of struggling through
those gaps would help me arrive at a better understanding of all things
zope(a lofty goal I'm sure).

thanks so much for the info. I'll check out z3c.form.

But if I understand what you are saying about the request needing to be
marked with the IFormLayer interface, I would assume an adapter could be
configured to provide that. I'll try that first anyway.

Thomas G. Willis