Hi Hanno,

On 2010-04-10, Hanno Schlichting <ha...@hannosch.eu> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I took the time and repackaged PIL 1.1.7 for distribute / setuptools
> based on Chris work for 1.1.6.
>
> There's a fork on bitbucket [1] with my changes. bitbucket is not
> behaving right now, so I put up a source dist on jarn.com [2].
>
> In order to generate the manifest I used setuptools_hg which is now in
> setup_requires. I'm not sure that's the best way to do it, so if
> someone has a better idea, please speak up.
>
> After I get some positive feedback, I'll put this into the downloads
> section on bitbucket and would be happy to see it copied to the usual
> dist.* places :)

w00t. :-)

A couple questions:

(1) Just curious have you seen any issues with PIL and Zope 2
along these lines:
    04:45 < wiggy> argh, PIL 1.1.7 breaks Zope
    06:42 < aclark> wiggy: how?
    06:42 < wiggy> aclark:  it includes an ImageFile module at toplevel
    06:42 < wiggy> aclark:  Zope2 has one as well
    06:42 < aclark> ah
    06:42 < wiggy> and if the PIL one is found first things go boom
    06:43 < aclark> can you control the order?
    06:43 < wiggy> nope
    06:43 < aclark> seems to me I've used 1.1.7 w/Zope 2…
    06:43 < wiggy> I suspect it's pretty much random
    06:44 < aclark> interesting
    06:44 < wiggy> try reordeing the paths in bin/instance

(2) Why the repackaging? I was under the impression that 1.1.7
alreaded works with setuptools OOB, e.g.:

    acl...@alex-clarks-macbook-pro:~/Developer/ > virtualenv pil-test
    New python executable in pil-test/bin/python
    Installing setuptools............done.
    acl...@alex-clarks-macbook-pro:~/Developer/ > cd pil-test
    acl...@alex-clarks-macbook-pro:~/Developer/pil-test/ > bin/pip install pil
    Downloading/unpacking pil
      Downloading PIL-1.1.7.tar.gz (506Kb): 506Kb downloaded
      Running setup.py egg_info for package pil
        WARNING: '' not a valid package name; please use only.-separated
package names in setup.py
        WARNING: '' not a valid package name; please use only.-separated
package names in setup.py
    Installing collected packages: pil
      Running setup.py install for pil
        WARNING: '' not a valid package name; please use only.-separated
package names in setup.py
        WARNING: '' not a valid package name; please use only.-separated
package names in setup.py
        --- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
        building '_imaging' extension
    …
        PIL 1.1.7 SETUP SUMMARY
        version       1.1.7
        platform      darwin 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jul  7 2009, 23:51:51)
                      [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)]
        --- TKINTER support available
        --- JPEG support available
        --- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support available
        --- FREETYPE2 support available
        *** LITTLECMS support not available
        To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
        library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
        setup.py script.

        To check the build, run the selftest.py script.
        changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/pilconvert.py from 644 to 755
        changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/pildriver.py from 644 to 755
        changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/pilfile.py from 644 to 755
        changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/pilfont.py from 644 to 755
        changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/pilprint.py from 644 to 755
        changing mode of /Users/aclark/Developer/pil-test/bin/pilconvert.py to
755
        changing mode of /Users/aclark/Developer/pil-test/bin/pildriver.py to
755
        changing mode of /Users/aclark/Developer/pil-test/bin/pilfile.py to 755
        changing mode of /Users/aclark/Developer/pil-test/bin/pilfont.py to 755
        changing mode of /Users/aclark/Developer/pil-test/bin/pilprint.py to 755
    Successfully installed pil

The confusion surrounding PIL almost makes me want to write some sort of über
document listing the orginal problem along with all the various hack-arounds.

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://aclark.net
Author of Plone 3.3 Site Administration · http://aclark.net/plone-site-admin