On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Yeah, the warning is a wart, but what's the problem?

The problem is that installing his tarball with setuptools puts
everything at the top level. "import ImageFile" works, but "import
PIL" or any "from PIL import ImageFile" doesn't.

All the code I have in any project uses imports from the PIL package.
If you install the official PIL via it's normal setup.py without any
setuptools involved, both incantations work. So you can do both
"import ImageFile" and "from PIL import ImageFile" pointing to the
same module. Thanks to pth file magic at work.

setuptools doesn't do this kind of double installation, but sticks
everything in one place. That place is either the top-level with the
official distribution or the PIL package with the repackaged versions.
In order for all my code to work, I need things to be inside the
package and none at the top-level, as that creates conflicts with
other modules of the same name, like in Zope2.