On Apr 16, 2010, at 9:33 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> ch...@server2:~$ python virtualenv.py --no-site-packages test_pil
>> New python executable in test_pil/bin/python
>> Installing setuptools.............................done.
>> ch...@server2:~$ cd test_pil/
>> ch...@server2:~/test_pil$ source bin/activate
>
> You do know that the 'activate' bit pollutes your shell environment,
> right?  I use virtualenv daily, with dozens of them on my system at any
> one time, and *never* use activate.

activate is a bit of a kludge, though it seems easy enough to just have
multiple shells open if activate screws with certain tasks. I'm curious though,
how do you switch virtualenvs? I can envision creating wrapper scripts that
only pollute the environment for a single process (running it in a subshell or
whatever), is that what you are doing?

I have to admit I haven't used virtualenv a whole lot, so I'm interested in
hearing what you seasoned old timers do ;^)

-Casey