> Easy or not doesn't matter:  he flat refuses.

To play devil's advocate: Why don't we just fork PIL entirely?

I appreciate that a 1.1.7 came out recently, but before that 1.1.6
lasted three years. I doubt it'd be hard to keep up with a fork. The
advantage is that we could package it appropriately, release the new
package on PYPI, and avoid all this confusion with names.

We would need to come up with a new namespace (i.e. not PIL) and
adjust our code in Plone and elsewhere to use this new namespace. But
that's probably less work than having this debate every few months.