I have been googling for several days on this.  I agree, it is a probably a problem on the machine itself.  I am just trying to find clues as to how to find it.  I am using the latest java machine:

java -version puts out:

java version "1.6.0_02"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_02-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

I have ipv6 disabled.  I am starting the process from a console logged in as root.  Jetty starts fine, but no other app server will.

Any clues as to where to look?

Tony