Hi,
It took me a while because I was busy with other things but for the
benefit of future generations, I'd like to confirm that this strategy
works (with a tiny detail I will explain) and I have now an
application that is able to authenticate through the container in
Resin and Tomcat.

The only detail I had to modify is that wherever it reads:

return super.getPasswordDigest(...

it should read

return super.getPasswordDigest().getPasswordDigest(...

The reason being that the class that really performs the encrypting is
not the authenticator itself but a utility class called PasswordDigest
that can be accessed through getPasswordDigest(). The "weird" choice
of names in this case (methods and class names "equal") is surely
going to confuse people, as it did to me at the beginning.

Thanks again, Mattias.
D.