On Apr 8, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Andrew Fritz wrote:

Oh, sorry. I should have included that I was specifying the - Xbootclasspath/a option. My current conf file includes:

<jvm-arg>-Xbootclasspath/a:/home/afritz/jprofiler5/bin/agent.jar</ jvm-arg> <jvm-arg>-agentlib:jprofilerti=port=31758</jvm-arg> <!--this is copied from a command launched via jprofiler directly that profiles-->

If you start Resin with the -verbose option, you'll see exactly the command line options that the watchdog is launching the JVM with. That should help debug this.

  java -jar lib/resin.jar -verbose

-- Scott

I've also tried (among many variations):

<jvm-arg>-Xbootclasspath/a:agent.jar</jvm-arg>
<jvm-arg>-agentlib:jprofilerti=port=31758</jvm-arg> <!--this is copied from a command launched via jprofiler directly that profiles-->

with agent.jar in the working directory.

Regardless, I still get a "Could not find agent library on the library path or in the local directory: jprofilerti".

So, sounds like I'm doing what I should with the JVM args. The command that the resin.jar file tries to launch dies quicker than I can see what it actually tried to run (via ps) so I can't tell if maybe some arg is being dropped.

Running java -jar lib/resin.jar results in the watchdog starting and then a sub process being spawned to run the actual server. The jvm- arg specified in the conf file get passed through untouched, but if the command later includes a -Xbootclasspath:... then my change will get squashed. At this point I am assuming that is what is happening.

Andrew

Rob Lockstone wrote:

Type java -X from the command line:

-> java -X
    -Xmixed           mixed mode execution (default)
    -Xint             interpreted mode execution only
    -Xbootclasspath:<directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
set search path for bootstrap classes and resources
    -Xbootclasspath/a:<directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
                      append to end of bootstrap class path
    -Xbootclasspath/p:<directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
                      prepend in front of bootstrap class path
    -Xnoclassgc       disable class garbage collection
    -Xloggc:<file>    log GC status to a file with time stamps
    -Xbatch           disable background compilation
    -Xms<size>        set initial Java heap size
    -Xmx<size>        set maximum Java heap size
    -Xss<size>        set java thread stack size
    -Xprof            output cpu profiling data
-Xfuture enable strictest checks, anticipating future default -Xrs reduce use of OS signals by Java/VM (see documentation)
    -Xdock:name=<application name>
override default application name displayed in dock
    -Xdock:icon=<path to icon file>
                      override default icon displayed in dock
    -Xcheck:jni       perform additional checks for JNI functions
    -Xshare:off       do not attempt to use shared class data
    -Xshare:auto      use shared class data if possible (default)
    -Xshare:on       require using shared class data, otherwise fail.

The -X options are non-standard and subject to change without notice.