Well, they are JVM system variables so it isn't so much that
ResinWatchdogManager would pass them to the server, but that they're set in
the JVM when it's started and anything in that runtime instance will have
them available.  My startup script uses this technique and it works great.
 I suppose it is possible that a later version changed this behavior (we're
still on 3.0.21) but I'd be extremely surprised if that's the case.

Rachel