On 09/28/2011 04:47 AM, Alan Wright wrote:
> Hi
> I am migrating from resin 2 to 4.0.22 and have a single host configured
> with a web-loadbalance tier (1 server) and an application tier (3 servers).
> We have elected to do this for resilience and also to make adding hosts
> at a later date easier to implement.
> We start 3 servers on the app-tier to create a "triad" but it may be
> that we only really need 2 servers to get basic failover resilience. Is
> there any benefit from having a triad or am i just wasting resources
> with the overhead of loading the same application environment 3 times?

Three might be overkill in your configuration. Statistically, it would
give you a better resilience.

A main scenario for the triad was a customer case where they took down
servers periodically for maintenance and had a crash at the same time
(this was before the triad or the hub-and-spoke model and with an
8-server cluster), and therefore some of their persistent sessions were

The three server triad gives you a backup, even when you take down a
triad server deliberately. I don't think that scenario applies in your case.

Another main reason is failover load. On a fully-loaded system, taking
down (or crashing) one of three servers means the other two work 50%
harder. If there were only two, it would be 100% which could cause a
cascading failure. That scenario doesn't apply because your backup
servers are using the same CPU, so you shouldn't have a cascading failure.

In your case, since you only have the extra servers for reliability, and
they're on the same machine, the third server isn't as important.

-- Scott