At 1:48 PM -0800 on 1/15/2000, you wrote:
> > >Is there any chance that a set of PC and Mac client installers can be made
>> >available that don't require passwords to install?
>Do you really want clients with no passwords?
>Seems to me that even if your site is isolated from the internet at some point
>something could break that would accidentally expose your computers
>to the rest
>of the world. At that point, someone could find your Retrospect clients and
>back them up since there are no passwords.
>Just as worrisome is the fact that anyone with a copy of Retrospect could log
>into the computers and potentially cause problems.
>Even "dantz" or "retrospect" or something else totally lame would
>prevent folks
>from logging in....

How about a copy of the installer that is "keyable"? Possibly by
running a "keying" program against the installer, or maybe making the
installer look for a plain text file that contains the "key". That
way end users could install the client, it would be temporarily
protected from caual network snooping and the administrator doesn't
have to worry that the wrong password (or no password) was entered
(either by the user or the admin).

Maybe if you go the text file route you could even fix it so I could
preset the preferences, so when the client is installed its
preferences are already set without either me or the user touching
it. Just a suggestion. :)

Michael Gaines                                  snail mail:     Learning Technology
Computer Systems Administrator                          Box 45, GPC
Nashville, TN 37203
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    (615) 322-8070