>What about using Netatalk to mount volumes on a Unix/Linux box for
>Retrospect to backup? Anyone doing this?

Unless I'm missing something obvious, the issue that keeps coming
back to haunt Dantz :-) is that there is no client to run on the *nix
box. Netatalk or not, Retrospect has no way to communicate directly
with the *nix box because there is no client to accept the
proprietary connection.

OTOH, you could in principle run an Applescript to mount the volume,
copy over what you want to the Mac side, and then have that in a
queue for Retro to back up. Alternatively, you could run a cron job
in the *nix box that created a tarball of what you wanted backed up,
and potentially ftp or otherwise transfer it to another Windoze/Mac
machine that was being backed up by Retro.

This wouldn't be too efficient for large amounts of data, but it is
what we plan to do initially with a LinuxPPC box we've added to the
office.

Until Dantz comes up with a *nix client, that is :-)

Stefan Jeglinski