On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 03:19:46AM -0600, Verne Arase ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> At 11:50 AM -0800 3/14/00, Doug Hinschberger wrote:
> >Jon Gardner at [EMAIL PROTECTED] <quoted>
> >
> >  >Run Samba on the UNIX boxes to provide SMB filesharing. You can then mount
> >>the shared drives on the NT box (if that's your backup platform) or buy DAVE
> >>for the Mac OS and use that to mount the UNIX and NT drives on the Mac in
> >>order to back them up using Retrospect.
> >
> >What about using Netatalk to mount volumes on a Unix/Linux box for
> >Retrospect to backup? Anyone doing this?
>
> Aren't you polluting the network with twice the traffic if you do this?

I'm not sure I understand why; if you mount the netatalk-shared volume
on the machine that's running retrospect, then you're still moving
each file across the network once.

Unfortunately, you throw away all of your ownership and permissions
information at the same time. :-/

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services