Jon,

on 15/3/00 9:48 AM, Jon Gardner at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> What about using Netatalk to mount volumes on a Unix/Linux box for
>>> Retrospect to backup? Anyone doing this?
>>
>> Unless I'm missing something obvious, the issue that keeps coming
>> back to haunt Dantz :-) is that there is no client to run on the *nix
>> box. Netatalk or not, Retrospect has no way to communicate directly
>> with the *nix box because there is no client to accept the
>> proprietary connection.
>
> Retro will backup files from a mounted network drive. You don't have to be
> running a client on the other machine.

The point is, without installing Netatalk or SAMBA there are no network
drives to mount.  Unix/Linux does not provide native filesharing support for
MacOS or Windows ... that is what Netatalk and SAMBA do.

Cheers,  Malcolm

                       Information Alchemy Pty Ltd
                             ACN 089 239 305
                           Canberra, Australia

Malcolm McLeary                                  Mobile:   0412 636 086
Managing Director                                Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     This message was sent using Outlook Express 5.0 for Macintosh.