John,

>> The point is, without installing Netatalk or SAMBA there are no network
>> drives to mount.  Unix/Linux does not provide native filesharing support for
>> MacOS or Windows ... that is what Netatalk and SAMBA do.
>
> Or you can install MacNFS on the Mac.

I have not tried MacNFS, but it "sounds" feasible.

Will Retrospect scripts interact with it to mount volumes as required?

WRT doing backups of a Cobalt Qube or Gateway Micro Server ... NFS is not
standard fit, but SAMBA and Netatalk are.

The bottom line appears to be that something "extra" has to be installed
either on the Unix/Linux machine or the Retrospect machine ... it would all
be so much cleaner with a specific Retrospect client for Unix/Linux.

Cheers,  Malcolm

                       Information Alchemy Pty Ltd
                             ACN 089 239 305
                           Canberra, Australia

Malcolm McLeary                                  Mobile:   0412 636 086
Managing Director                                Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     This message was sent using Outlook Express 5.0 for Macintosh.