>  >Retrospect is supposed to disable software compression in the presence
>  >of hardware compression, even if it the box is checked.   I will test and
>  >see if speed increases without it.
>
>I had the same (mis)understanding.  I'm curious about what you found.

Exactly how is one supposed to determine (or guess) whether their
tape drive offers hardware compression?

In my case, I'll be using a SkyData (Toronto, ON) DDS-4 DAT drive.

Stephen K. Suh

Network R&D + Admin                                 Tel 613/228-0250
Studio Colour Group                                 Fax 613/228-0254
6 Gurdwara Rd., Suite 105
Nepean, ON K2E 8A3 Canada                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]