on 6/11/00 1:21 PM, david bonde at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I backup a G4 through the our network. However, the G4 is set to
> 'Save memory and sleep mode' (via T-Minus Ten and a Applescript) and
> this prevents it from waking up when the backup is due to be made.
> There are two settings in the energy saving CP that effects how to
> wake up a sleeping computer, either at any network activity or only
> when administrative network activity take place. The first setting is
> useless, it wakes up the computer everytime mail is checked or Icq
> sends a packet, so I guess the second settings is what I need to use,
> but how do you generate administrative network activity?

Apple has noted that "Save memory and sleep mode" doesn't work correctly,
and can corrupt your hard disk.

In that mode, memory is saved to disk (possibly changing memory in the
process, which is apparently one of the problems with that mode) and the
machine is completely powered down.  It is not in sleep, it is actually the
same state as having the machine powered off.

Since the G4s apparently draw so little power when in "real sleep" mode,
you'll probably want to simply set up the machine to go to sleep, but make
sure that you have "Load only when needed" unchecked in the TCP/IP control
panel, so that the TCP/IP stack won't be unloaded when the machine is put to

// Glenn L. Austin
// Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver
// http://www.austin-home.com/glenn/