I recently set up a backup server for a friend with a small network.
There is no internet access device on the network; instead 2 macs (one
pbook, one iMac) dial in thru built-in modems. I created a new TCP/IP
configuration (w/static addresses) for ethernet so that Retrospect could
backup via TCP/IP, and it all works. But it created a clunky scenario
for the 2 internet macs, where the users have to switch TCP/IP
configurations constantly (one for ethernet, one for PPP/internet).

Now they're telling me that ever since I did the setup, the powerbook
dials the internet once an hour. Is this because the retrospect client
is forcing a network lookup? Is there anything I should have done

top of the world,

Luke Jaeger, Technology Coordinator
Disney Magazine Publishing
Northampton, Massachusetts

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and may not represent
the opinions of Disney Publishing, etc etc etc.