Pam,

Thanks for your reply. Why yes, I did order this G4 this summer. I'm forgetting what
"MP" stands for, though. At any rate, I'm curious as to what the "known issues" you
refer to are. I did read the Apple TIL #25147 on the Ethernet Update 1.0, which
describes symptoms not quite like mine:

"Ethernet Update 1.0 addresses an issue where a Macintosh in certain rare network
configurations may continue to transmit data but not receive data.[In my case, it
doesn't transmit datal, either] Manually putting the Macintosh to sleep and then
waking it, or restarting the computer enables it to temporarily reestablish network
connectivity. After a period of time, which varies by topology and infrastructure, the
computer again ceases to receive packets. The computer functions normally on isolated
networks."

The Read-Me for Ethernet Update 1.0 also describes a situation not like ours:
"Ethernet Update 1.0 improves the reliability of ethernet in certain rare network
configurations.  These configurations are typically 10Mbit networks which include coax
(10Base5 or 10Base2) network segments [We have none of this] in large single collision
domains ( i.e. not separated by switches ) that use much smaller than standard
interpacket gaps or have carrier collision dropout.  This update replaces the Mac OS
ROM file with a new version, 3.8.

Apple System Profiler reports Mac OS ROM 3.9 on our server, so the update would
seem... like a backdate.

The backup does not stall on the same file each time.

I can't try moving the backup drive at this time; the G4 has no SCSI card, and I have
no other machine available, but I will hope to give this a try eventually.

Thanks again,

Andrew

--
Andrew Tomlinson, Technology Coordinator
Western High School