>Thanks for your reply. Why yes, I did order this G4 this summer. I'm
>forgetting what "MP" stands for, though. At any rate, I'm curious as to
>what the "known issues" you refer to are. I did read the Apple TIL #25147
>on the Ethernet Update 1.0, which describes symptoms not quite like mine:

MP = Multiprocessor

This is a newer issue than what the ether update addressed. There were a
bunch (in round numbers) of postings on this at macfixit and I believe
there's a TIL on it too that states that there isn't a fix for it yet but
they're working on it. <sigh> I'd have to hit the web to get you more
details but time doesn't allow it right at this moment (feel free to
search though <g>). It's happening with Summer 2000 iMacs too as I recall.

>I can't try moving the backup drive at this time; the G4 has no SCSI card,
>and I have no other machine available, but I will hope to give this a try

Ah, so I see weekend work in the making...hostile takeover of some
unsuspecting users' machine. heh.