One (compound) word: Lossless

The compression methods that you are lusting after introduce errors
(artifacts) into the resulting decompressed data. This may be acceptable
for sound, photos and video but to totally unacceptable for storage of
system files, programs and most other data.

High levels of compression can only be achieved if the compression method
has embedded knowledge of the semantic content of the data. A general purpose,
lossless compression engine will not be able to compress random and
packed data (no white space or zeroed buffer data). On the other hand, even
a simple compression method will achieve high compression ratios if the data
is highly repetitive or void of information. This is why "your mileage varies."

Don't be too hard on the tape drive developers. They are working against some pretty
solid limitations in the mathematics of what's possible. On the other hand,
they are working hard to speed up the methods and the chips in which they are
embedded in order to keep up with increasing interface and transport speeds.
Future gains in capacity will come from denser on-media data and longer/wider reels
but not, it is thought, from innovations in compression methods.

Of the next startup IPO touting a revolutionary new compression algorithm,
be sceptical...very sceptical.

Doug.