At 11:46 PM +0100 21/10/00, Nicholas Froome wrote:
>>Ok, explain to me...I took a 220MB system file and compressed it
>>down to 28MB.
>And to recover any one file would require the whole archive to be

Actually that is NOT true. Every compression/archive utility that I
have used (Mac, Windoze and Unix) has allowed me to extract a single
file. This rather negates the remainder of your argument, but on the
whole I agree with you that these high compression rates would be
difficult to achieve 'on the fly' as the data is copied to the tape.

However, IMHO there's room for improvement over the current meagre 2:1.

Ken  G i l l e t t