Joel,
I personally don't have any experience using Onstream's Echo drives.  I am
however very familiar with the (-206) error that you are talking about.  We
experience this continually with our 8mm Exabyte drives.  It seems that at
least once a year we are sending the drive back for repairs (service
contract) or purchasing a new one.  More recently we purchased a Quantum DLT
drive that has been working great!  I guess it all comes down to the fact
that you pay for what you get.  Hope this helps.

Chad Chelius