I've had plenty of bad experiences with DLT. The DLT-7000 (35/70 GB) drives
we use simply fail. Indication of a failure is a constant desire to be
cleaned, even after several consecutive cleanings.

Also, I'm not crazy about moving a superthin piece of film through a
mechanism at speeds of 150 inches per second. Just doesn't seem that
brilliant of a thing to do.

Also, the tapes are more delicate than other media. Dropping a DLT tape may
result not only in an unusable tape, but if inserted into a drive, could
result in damage to the drive. I've never heard of such behavior with any
other tape drive/media.

Also, DLT technology seems to have plateaued. DLT's latest enhancement was
going from a 35/70 GB drive to a 40/80 GB drive? Gimme a break. That's no
improvement.

And gimme a break on the size of the drives! 5.25" full-height
extended-length. I guess Digital/Quantum hadn't caught on to the
miniaturization going on for the last couple decades...

I've had great experiences with AIT, and it appears that Sony has big plans
for the technology. In AIT's first appearance (the one I used), the
technology debuted at 25/50 GB, with 35/70 available via a firmware upgrade.
They are now at 50/100 and have improved transfer rates also. And, load
times and seek times are significantly lower than DLT. All this on a small
8mm cassette. Way cool.

Brad.