One of the problems with DAT drives is that they are sensitive to
abuse and dust.  Not very rugged.  I've got a DAT drive that has been
well taken care of and it works perfectly.  Although our department
has had 6 APS/Sony autoloaders of which 3 of them went back for
repairs twice, and only 1 of the other 3 has not been in for repairs.
The two HP 6 tape Autoloaders we have work perfectly and on a PC do
some really cool things like keep track of which slow the cleaning
tape is in and use it when needed...of course, that is not using
Retrospect, however.   I sure wish Dantz would put in support for
cleaning tapes on autoloaders.