This is interesting, but I don't think I've ever had a DAT failure
due to bad heads.  Most of the autoloaders we have have the problem
with the autoloader itself.  Pull the DAT drive out of the autoloader
and it works fine most of the time.  We did have one drive go bad,
but it was related to the "inject" mechanism mis-aligning the tape as
it fed it in.

Thanks for the info.  Good information.