Adrian Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>         We have just set up a system consisting of a Sony DDS-4 tape
> drive attached to 7300 with an AdvanSys UltraWide SCSI card in order
> to back up the Macs in our lab. It has been working perfectly for the
> last week, then suddenly last night Retrospect gave us a 102 error
> (trouble communicating) after copying 12 out 13 files on the first
> volume in the script. Retrospect can still see the drive (as can
> SCSIProbe etc) and recognise which tape is in it but gives a 102
> error whenever we try to read or write to it...
>
> We have the list of things to try (ie cables, terminators, etc) but
> this will take us a while as we don't have easy access to any other
> cables or terminators.
>
> What I was actually interested in is why this problem might have just
> happened in the middle of a backup (which was in the middle of the
> night)?  Is this normal for SCSI to just die like this? I would have
> thought it would be more likely to occur after a shutdown or
> something else changing?
>
> Any experiences, observations or suggestions welcome...

Either power fluctuations affecting the network hubs or switches or the
computers themselves. This kind of error generally is related to network
or power problems.

--
Best Regards,

Chuck Hornish, KF6YBC
Narnia Information Systems, Inc.
Fountain Valley, California 92708 USA

Voice: 714-963-7742      FAX: 714-593-5808

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Delivering precisely defined database solutions since 1992.