Hi all,
        We have just set up a system consisting of a Sony DDS-4 tape
drive attached to 7300 with an AdvanSys UltraWide SCSI card in order
to back up the Macs in our lab. It has been working perfectly for the
last week, then suddenly last night Retrospect gave us a 102 error
(trouble communicating) after copying 12 out 13 files on the first
volume in the script. Retrospect can still see the drive (as can
SCSIProbe etc) and recognise which tape is in it but gives a 102
error whenever we try to read or write to it...

We have the list of things to try (ie cables, terminators, etc) but
this will take us a while as we don't have easy access to any other
cables or terminators.

What I was actually interested in is why this problem might have just
happened in the middle of a backup (which was in the middle of the
night)?  Is this normal for SCSI to just die like this? I would have
thought it would be more likely to occur after a shutdown or
something else changing?

Any experiences, observations or suggestions welcome...

Adrian Smith