> Hi again,
>       I only received one response to the email below about 102
> errors disappearing after restarts...so if anyone else has any light
> to shed it would be appreciated. Since I posted we have found that if
> IE crashes (which it does extremely frequently on the backup) machine
> then we will always get the 102 error unless we restart first.
> However, this is not the only cause of the problem...

How do you know? Have you tried never running IE on the computer? If the
problem goes away after a restart, there's definitely something corrupting
your system over time. If the computer is a dedicated backup system, disable
all unnecessary extensions and control panels and don't run IE to see if it
happens again.

> ... when Retrospect gives us the 102
> error it assumes that the current tape cannot be used and asks for a
> new one next time the backup runs, even if the tape appears to be
> less than half full...
> So, is there any to force Retrospect to keep using that tape?

I don't know of a way to get Retrospect to append to that tape, but you can
certainly get Retrospect to use the tape by either setting the tape as
missing or erasing the tape. In either case, Retrospect will recopy the
files already on the media and continue to fill the tape.