Hmmm... OK, I guess that's not the best Idea I've ever had. I didn't
realize that the drives would need to be flagged as removable in order to
make this work. Thanks (again) to Eric and Irena and the folks at Dantz for
keeping an eye on this list.

It may be time for Donovan to explore the advantages of tape storage for
backup. Much easier to archive and store off-site...

This does bring up a good point, though. With ATA HD going for $300/75 GB
and DLT 7000 costing about $3000 + $70/tape, disks become attractive
options for some simple backup chores for people who don't really need the
powerful archiving features of tape. Of course, without Apple's problem of
File size limitation, there's no trouble at all using whatever you want.
According to this til
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24601the max file sixe for
HFS+ volumes is 2TB under OS 9, so I guess the trouble is really in the
ASIP software. Perhaps running retrospect on a machine other than the ASIP
server would be an option? Then you get into  having to pull all that data
over the network, but it may be OK if you're doing it at night...

 Donavan, please let us know how you resolve this. Very curious.
--Ben

Eric Ullman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 12/15/2000 12:02:02 PM

Please respond to "retro-talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>