I installed the Pygments library, as a result, I was able to turn on
syntax highlighting in gthe admin interface. When I hit "save" the
notification said my setting was changed successfully, but the setting
now appears unset again after the save occurred. I repeated this and
no change. I am not sure if this is simply UI issue or if something is
really silently failing in this step.

I did turn on syntax highlighting on my profile, and even after log in
and log out, the syntax highlighting did not work (according to
Pygments, we are using languages that are supported for syntax
highlighting). No syntax highlighting has occured.

So my first question is, where can I start looking to troubleshoot? My
next question is, is there anyway to set, by default, the syntax
highlighting  to "on" for each profile (instead of off by default?)