Interpreting .pyc files is more efficient than interpreting .py files, but
Apache should still be able to handle .py files without problems. A .pyc
file isn't actually needed. I don't know why it wouldn't be picking up your
changes. I've done this many times without issues.

If you absolutely want to make sure a .pyc is generated, you can probably
change directory ownership for the directory containing the .py file to be
owned by the web server, or make the directory world-writable.

Also, the whole restarting Apache thing was based on an assumption that
you're using mod_python. If you're using fastcgi (which, btw, I'd recommend
against due to some memory issues we've seen on a number of servers), then
that's a bit different. You'll want to restart the fastcgi server instance.

VMware, Inc.