Well that was easy :)

Thanks for the quick help. Switching it to a fully qualified domain
name and using /etc/hosts to catch it made everything work like a
charm after the re-install.

So it sounds like the error message I thought might be coming from the
Server actually was and I wasn't even stressing over the right field.
doh

Thanks again
-wes