Hum, I think this is official python.

(python(x,y) is just packaging a lot of python install into a one .msi.

And under linux I use the one given by apt-get install under ubuntu 8.10.

That is a 2.5.2

Perhaps you still use older python than 2.5.0?

>From python doc:

Exceptions <http://docs.python.org/library/subprocess.html#exceptions> ¶

Exceptions raised in the child process, before the new program has started to
execute, will be re-raised in the parent. Additionally, the exception object
will have one extra attribute called child_traceback, which is a string
containing traceback information from the childs point of view.

The most common exception raised is
<http://docs.python.org/library/exceptions.html#exceptions.OSError> OSError.
This occurs, for example, when trying to execute a non-existent file.
Applications should prepare for
<http://docs.python.org/library/exceptions.html#exceptions.OSError> OSError
exceptions.

A  <http://docs.python.org/library/exceptions.html#exceptions.ValueError>
ValueError will be raised if
<http://docs.python.org/library/subprocess.html#subprocess.Popen> Popen is
called with invalid arguments.

check_call() will raise CalledProcessError, if the called process returns a
non-zero return code.

(So Raise WindowsError: under windows…)

U sure you don’t get this kind of exception ?_?

Perhaps try to rename to a dummy command that does not exist on your system.
It’s crazy you don’t get the exception!