here I am answering my own questions, perhaps someone else will have
the same problem as me...

when you're done upgrading, you can safely delete the old .egg files

the easy_install system keeps these old egg files around, you can read
all about it here:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

most notably this part:
Uninstalling Packages
If you have replaced a package with another version, then you can just
delete the package(s) you don't need by deleting the PackageName-
versioninfo.egg file or directory (found in the installation
directory)