I have some more ideas:
1) Check You can telnet to smtp server from machine where ReviewBoard
works
2) Try to use IP address instead host name
3) Ask someone is this isn't the problem of proxy or DNS server. If
You can telnet to server from command line (in Linux) check You have
not set variable HTTP_PROXY or http_proxy this will be sign You need
proxy to communicate with smtp server