I'm not sure whether mod_wsgi would be somehow different or not. initialize
is called in reviewboard/urls.py, which should definitely be invoked
regardless. If you're seeing the "Log file for Review Board ..." in the log
files, then you should be seeing signal connections. That is, unless
something broke in Django's signals, but you're using Django 1.1.x, right?