It shouldn't work for just one or the other. Try running
./contrib/internal/prepare-dev.py.

That connect_signals should be happening on the first request to Review
Board. Are you running this using fastcgi or mod_python?

Might also be worth checking to make sure that the following points are also
hit:

reviewboard/__init__.py: initialize
reviewboard/notifications/__init__.py: connect_signals

For what it's worth, e-mail notifications have been working here with 1.5
beta 1.