Thank you for your help.

I noticed most of my tables were MyISAM.
I made the default engine for my mysql install be "MyISAM".

I converted a few tables to MyISAM:

mysql> ALTER TABLE diffviewer_filediffdata ENGINE = MyISAM ;
Query OK, 4582 rows affected (0.12 sec)
Records: 4582  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> ALTER TABLE extensions_registeredextension ENGINE = MyISAM ;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> ALTER TABLE hostingsvcs_hostingserviceaccount ENGINE = MyISAM ;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> ALTER TABLE reviews_reviewrequest_depends_on ENGINE = MyISAM ;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

now rb-site upgrade works

now I will go drink heavily.