Well, I got something.  I went to the Hosting Account in Review Board's
admin UI and copied the private_token out of the Data box.  Then I did this
one.
curl --header "PRIVATE-TOKEN: <copied token>"
"https://<server>/api/v3/groups/<group>"

That said
{"message":"401 Unauthorized"}

Then I logged into the GitLab web page, went to Profile and then Account.
 I saw that the private token there was completely different.  I tried that
one with the curl command and then it worked fine and I could see all my
repositories/projects.  (There's actually 7, one of them is "archived":true
and doesn't show up in the GitLab UI.)

So I went back to Review Board and pasted the working private token into
the Hosting Account and saved that.  But now when I try to save a
repository I get this error.
IV must be 16 bytes long

Ian